Before discussing the earthquake resistance properties of AAC blocks, we would like to show our condolence to all those who lost their lives in the devastating earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria on February 6, 2023, and we had no choice but to watch it happen. While we try our best to defeat this natural calamity, there’s something that we must not forget: earthquakes are natural processes that have been happening for centuries.
What Is an Earthquake?
Earthquake as stated by NASA:
“A sudden motion or trembling in the Earth. The motion is caused by the quick release of slowly accumulated energy in the form of seismic waves. Most earthquakes are produced along faults, tectonic plate boundaries, or along the mid-oceanic ridges.”– NASA
Earthquake is a natural calamity that has been the cause of many deaths and destruction throughout history. Although humans have tried to combat this catastrophe by constructing steel and concrete buildings, providing 100% guarantee and stability against earthquake resistance still remains a challenge.
How does an earthquake affect building structures?
There are two main types of construction common in buildings: load-bearing walls, which support the floor slabs at different levels; and framed structures that use isolated vertical posts (columns) connected with horizontal bands (beams) to support the structure.
Both of these shelf-like structures are designed to withstand the weight of items placed upon them, similar to that of a shelf. Now, envision a set of shelves not connected or linked to the vertical walls (load-bearing type) or vertical posts (frame type) – shelves simply stacked on top of each other – and give it a push. The whole stack will collapse just like a house of cards. The impact of an earthquake is similar to that same push.
With the current advancements in technology, the exact magnitude of forces and tensions that a structure can bear can be accurately assessed. Earthquake resistance in the construction industry can benefit from the utilization of AAC blocks, as these blocks provide protection from earthquakes.
How AAC Blocks can Provide More Steadiness during Earthquake
- AAC blocks, which use advanced materials and engineering techniques, provide better seismic performance than normal concrete blocks during earthquakes of higher magnitude.
- AAC blocks are more reliable and safer than traditional building materials.
- AAC blocks are earthquake resistant because they are light in weight. As the impact of an earthquake is directly proportional to a building’s weight, these blocks make construction easier and faster.
- The main advantage of using AAC blocks is that they are easy to use and versatile in any kind of construction or renovation project.
- AAC blocks are lightweight and easy to carry, you don’t have to spend much time transporting them from one place to another.
- You can make changes easily because the materials are flexible and easy to work with.
- AAC blocks, which are lightweight and absorb vibrations, can reduce the impact of earthquakes on buildings, thus providing a better earthquake resistance strength.
- Since AAC blocks are made from recycled material, they are less expensive than traditional ones such as concrete and bricks. This helps reduce your overall budget while still providing excellent results!
- Finally, AAC blocks are built to be stronger than traditional building materials and structures, which means that they are less likely to collapse during an earthquake. Because the foundations of AAC blocks stay stable even when the ground shakes, they can handle strong tremors better than old houses do.
In this article, we have discussed the earthquake-resistant properties of AAC blocks.
The lightweight property of these blocks results in the higher steadiness of the AAC blocks in the structure of buildings. As an example, if you compare an AAC block with other concrete products, then you will notice that there is a decrease in its mass. So by using AAC blocks, it becomes easier and faster to construct a building as well as reduce its impact during an earthquake.
At NXTBLOC, we know that maintaining your home is important to you and your loved ones. That’s why we take a quality and safety-oriented approach to manufacturing AAC blocks so that you can feel confident that your home will be a safe place for you and your loved ones with earthquake-resistant building design